Between April 17th and April 19th I was invited to participate the Oracle User Group Norway 2013 conference by giving three presentations. This conference was held in Oslo Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel on the first day (April 17th), and then was moved to the Color Major Cruise ship Between Oslo, Norway and Kiel , Germany on the second day (April 18th) and the third day (April 19th).
The conference was one of the best organized conferences I have ever seen. The conference organizers really have done the great job to make this conference such an great experience. There were about three hundred peoples attending the conference, most from Norway plus more than 30 speakers from all over the world. Among them there are many industry well-known speakers such as Tom Kyte , Cary Millsap , Kuassi Mensah, Bryn Llewellyn, etc .The topics covered many areas in Oracle Technology, ranging from Oracle Database and MySQL core technology for DBAs, database and applications tuning, BI/DWH, Development, Middleware and Security. From these sessions, the audiences and speakers can really share and exchange the experiences. It also covered some topics on the Oracle 12c database such as portable database, new high availability features, new security feature. My three presentation topics were:
During these sessions, I had some great discussions with people on the sessions. One thing I really appreciated is that many people attended my PCIe SSD session by giving up the opportunity of sightseeing in the beautiful Germany port city Kiel as this SSD session happened to be in middle of short time when the cruise ship stayed in Kiel and allowed people to have a short sightseeing in the city.
This trip was also my first time of visiting Norway. I really enjoyed visiting many beautiful sighseeing places in Oslo: the Royal Palace Oslo, Akershus Fortress, Oslo City Hall, Opera House, Norway National Theater, Aker Brygge/Oslo Fjord waterfront area . The nice thing about visiting Oslo is that all of these major tourism attractions were within the walking distance of the Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel. For this I really want to thank the conference organizer for arranging such a great hotel at the very convenient location.
From the Cruise Line, I was able to see many breath-taken views of the sea port of Oslo and many small islands floating around outside of the port. What incredible views!
It has been a great learning opportunity for me through many discussions on my sessions and as well as by attending other speaker’s sessions. The conference has been a great experience to meet the friends and share experiences with the colleagues in this part of the world. By having a chance to get to know the people and colleagues that are working on the same area, we can expect more collaborations and knowledge sharing to continue after the conference.
I will really look forward to coming back again next year or in future to participate the conference.
There is less than one week before Collaborate 13 conference. As a reference, I list the schedule of all of presentations and panels I will present or co-present here. Since Collaborate 13 conference allows us to download the presentations and whitepapers prior to the conference, the link with each of these titles leads to the page where you can download the presentation ppts and whitepaper.
1. How to setup your own Private Oracle Fusion Applications Cloud? Monday, April 8
5:00 pm – 6:00 pm, Room 507, Speakers: Kai Yu , Dell, Tariq Farooq, CEO BrainSurface
2. Oracle VM, OEM12c and Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, Session #343, Tuesday, April 9
8:00 am – 9:00 am, Mile High Ballroom 4A, Track : Cloud Computing, Panelists: Tariq Farooq (BrainSurface), George Trujillo (HortonWorks), Honglin Su (Oracle), Mike Ault (IBM), Charles Kim (Viscosity NA), Kai Yu (Dell)
3. Plan/Configure/Deploy your own Private Oracle Fusion Applications Cloud, Session #237, Tuesday, April 9 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm, Mile High Ballroom 3C, Track : Cloud Computing, Speakers:Kai Yu, Dell Inc.Tariq Farooq, CEO , BrainSurface
4. Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud using Virtual assemblies and EM 12c, session #369, Wednesday, April 10 4:15 pm – 5:15 pm, Mile High Ballroom 4B, Speakers: Honglin Su Oracle, Kai Yu, Dell Inc.
Look forward to having the great presentations and discussions with panelists, co-presenters and audiences.
Oracle just announced the Oracle OpenWorld 2013 call for papers today!
The call for papers will last about one month and close at Friday, April 12, 11:59 p.m. PDT. For those of us who want to share their experences and technology inovation at this biggest information technology event in the world, we need to come up some topics and submit to the conference commitee by the April 12th deadline. Since 2006 Oracle OpenWorld when I gave my very first presentation at this event, I have been very fortune to speak at the conference 16 times. I look forward to having another year to continue my contributions to the conference.
I listed all of my previous Oracle OpenWorld presentation for reference. Here I want to thank the people who also contributed to these presentations including my co-speakers of some sessions, and the conference commitee who gave me the opportunity to present and the audiences who participated and supported me during the presentations.
16. Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, Oracle OpenWorld 2012
15: High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, Oracle OpenWorld 2012
14: Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, Oracle OpenWorld 2012
13. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager ,Oracle OpenWorld 2011
12. Upgrading Oracle Enterprise Manager, Using Best Practices , Oracle OpenWorld 2011
11. Consolidate Oracle E-Business Suite Databases in Oracle Database 11g Release 2 Grid: Case Study, Oracle OpenWorld 2011
10. Ensure the High Availability and Stability of Oracle RAC: Storage and Network Side Story ,Oracle OpenWorld2011
9. Oracle11g R2 Clusterware and RAC: Architecture , Configuration, Troubleshooting and Case study, Oracle OpenWorld Beijing 2010,
8. Oracle RAC on Oracle VM Automated Provisioning with Enterprise Manager 11g , Oracle OpenWorld 2010
7. Monitoring and Diagnosing Oracle RAC Performance with Oracle Enterprise Manager. Oracle OpenWorld 2010,
6. Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle RAC and Oracle VM: Architecture and Implementation, Oracle OpenWorld 2009
5. Building an Oracle Grid with Oracle VM on Dell Blade Servers and EqualLogic iSCSI storage, Oracle OpenWorld 2009
4. Provisioning Oracle RAC in a Virtualized Environment, Using Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle OpenWorld 2009
3. Case Study: Implementing the Oracle Grid Computing on Dell Hardware for Multiple ERP Applications, Oracle OpenWorld 2008
2. Automatic Oracle RAC Deployment and Implementing MegaGrid using Oracle EM Provisioning Pack, Oracle OpenWorld 2007
1. Implementing Oracle Applications 11i on 10g RAC and ASM, Oracle OpenWorld 2006
It was a great honor for me to recieve the industry prestigeous award “2012 Oracle Excellence Award: Technologist of the Year for Cloud Architect ” from Oracle Mazgine. Although I received this award at Oracle OpenWorld 2012 in San Francisco in early Octorber 2012, the award was officially announced on the Oracle Magzine’s January/Feburary 2013 issue .
My original backgroud was Oracle DBA and Oracle Applications DBA. My experiences was mainly on managing large Oracle RAC databases and Oracle E-Business applications suite running on complex muitple nodes environment such an Oracle Grid. In late 2008, as a part of addtional responsibilites of my job, I started working on Oracle virtualization technology specifically Oracle VM for X86-64 platform . Since then Oracle VM has become of one of my favour technologies. Natually I started looking at the best practices of running and deployment Oracle RAC databas, Oracle E-Business suite applications on the Oracle VM enviroment. The Oracle OpenWorld 2009 confernece allowed me to give three presentation sessions about my work on Oracle VM technology:
And the contents of these presentations were also published in three whitepapers:
In 2010, Oracle Introduced the Oracle E-Business Oracle VM template. I was working on a project for which I needed to deploy Oracle E-Business Applications on Oracle VM environment . However I noticed that the Oracle EBS VM template downloaded from Oracle was a general template for the Oracle EBS vision instance. For the project, I needed to find out a way to virtualize the exisiting production Oracle E-Business suite system that currently ran on the physical environment . That is the backround that I came up the solution to migrate the Oracle EBS suite t to a virtual environment. As a result of the project, I put toegther a whitepaper about this solution:
and also presented this solution at several Oracle conferences:
I also worked on provisioning database and applications using Oracle Enterprise Manager’s Software library and provisioning procedures It can be considerred the early version of Oracle Cloud application provioning methods. Built in with Oracle Enterprise Grid control 10g, this method can quickly provision multiple node Oracle 10g RAC . Some of the early projects were presented at Oracle OpenWorld and Collaborate conferences:
- Automatic Oracle RAC Deployment and Implementing MegaGrid using Oracle EM Provisioning Pack, Oracle OpenWorld 2007, October 2007 San Francisco, California.
- Case Study: Implementing the Oracle Grid Computing on Dell Hardware for Multiple ERP Applications, Oracle OpenWorld 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California.
- Provisioning Oracle RAC in a Virtualized Environment, Using Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle OpenWorld 2009 presentation, October 2009, San Francisco, California.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle VM Automated Provisioning with Enterprise Manager 11g , Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 19, 2010, Session ID: S316318.
As a part of Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c cloud beta efforts, I worked with Oracle EM12c product engineers and product managers on a Dell | Oracle joint Oracle cloud project. This project aimed to architect and implement a privare cloud solution based on Oracle VM and managed by Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c. By importing Oracle VM templates into the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c’s software library, on this project we were able to implement the self service provisioning of applications in the Oracle cloud environment using Oracle VM templates. The result of this project was presented at Oracle OpenWorld 2011, right after Oracle officially announced Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c, total cloud control solution.
In 2012, as Oracle released new version of Oracle VM 3.0, we upgraded this cloud to Oracle VM 3.1.1 and implemented the self provisioning multiple tier applications using Oracle virtual assembilies. the newer version of Oracle cloud was presentated at Oracle Openworld 2012:
Another area I have worked on is the Oracle database cloud based on Oracle RAC technology with or without Oracle VM:
These are some of presentations that I have given on this area:
- Implementing Oracle Applications 11i on 10g RAC and ASM, Oracle OpenWorld 2006, October 2006 San Francisco, California.
- Implementing Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Through 11i to R12 Upgrade Path, OAUG Collaborate 08 presentation(April, 2008, Denver ,Colorado), Oracle OpenWorld 2007 Presentation (October 2007 San Francisco, California) (this present discussed the step by step method to migrate an Oracle EBS 11i with single node database to Oracle EBS R12 with a multiple node RAC database.
- Configuring Oracle E-Business Suite R12 with Oracle 10g RAC on Linux x86-64 platform, Oracle RAC SIG Web seminar, October 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California
- Monitoring and Diagnosing Oracle RAC Performance with Oracle Enterprise Manager. Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 23rd, 2010, Session ID:S316263
- RAC Performance Monitoring and Diagnosis using Oracle Enterprise Manager, IOUG Collaborate 10 Conference, Las Vegas, April 20, 2010.
- Oracle11g R2 Clusterware and RAC: Architecture , Configuration, Troubleshooting and Case study, Oracle OpenWorld Beijing 2010, Dec 16th,2010, Beijing, China
- Ensure the High Availability and Stability of Oracle RAC: Storage and Network Side Story ,Oracle Openworld 2011, session #09385, Sunday, 01:30 PM
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, session #328. IOUG Collaborate 12 , April 22-26, 2012, Las Vegas
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, a keynote Presentation at Oracle Technology Network Architect Day 2012,
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, Oracle Openworld 2012 session #CON3875
Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ’s January/Feb 2013 issue.
Oracle OpenWorld 2012 is getting close to the finishing line. Tomorrow, Thursday Oct 5th will be the last day of the conferecne. The last session will end at 3:15pm followed by the closing ceremony. My OOW12 trip really started on the Oracle ACE director product briefing in Oracle HQ on last Thursday and Friday. During this two-day product briefing, we were given 16 presentations by Oracle VPs as well as product management directors that coverred some major product areas. The topics that fall in my areas included database, cloud, Enterprise Manager, virtualization & Linux, GoldenGate, Oracle EBS. What I am interested in most are Oracle database 12c: pluggable Database, Oracle EBS R12.2 online patching feature, virtualization and cloud features. After the two days product briefing, we took the OTN bus to come to San Francisco downtown in late Friday afternoon to get ready for the OpenWorld conference.
The OOW conference started with the user group day on Sunday Sept 30. I co-presented UGF7700 – Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel at 12:30pm-2:00pm (click the name to download the presentation). A full room of audiences really showed their enthusiasm on this topic.
My second presentation was CON3875 – High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices at Monday 3:15pm-4:15pm. As usually this HA and database cloud topic attracted a good attentention of the conference audiences who filled up all the seats in Moscone West- room #3020. Many people requested the presentation slides after the session. The pdf of slides are available for download on the link.
My third also the last presentation CON5206 – Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, was given on Wednesday afternoon 5:00pm-6:00pm. Although I didn’t get a huge audience like the last two as this was not only a new and advanced topic, also the last session of the day before most people were heading to the conference party on the Treasure Island. The people attending this session seemed to be very interested in this topic. This relative small size of the audiences actually made this session more interactive. The pdf of the presentation can be downloaded through this link.
Besides of my own presentations, I also attended a few presentations including few keynotes. This conference has been a really learning and networking opportunity for me. It has been really great to meet some old friends as well as new friends. I have really enjoyed the conference this time as much as my previous 6 times.