It was a great honor for me to recieve the industry prestigeous award “2012 Oracle Excellence Award: Technologist of the Year for Cloud Architect ” from Oracle Mazgine. Although I received this award at Oracle OpenWorld 2012 in San Francisco in early Octorber 2012, the award was officially announced on the Oracle Magzine’s January/Feburary 2013 issue .
My original backgroud was Oracle DBA and Oracle Applications DBA. My experiences was mainly on managing large Oracle RAC databases and Oracle E-Business applications suite running on complex muitple nodes environment such an Oracle Grid. In late 2008, as a part of addtional responsibilites of my job, I started working on Oracle virtualization technology specifically Oracle VM for X86-64 platform . Since then Oracle VM has become of one of my favour technologies. Natually I started looking at the best practices of running and deployment Oracle RAC databas, Oracle E-Business suite applications on the Oracle VM enviroment. The Oracle OpenWorld 2009 confernece allowed me to give three presentation sessions about my work on Oracle VM technology:
And the contents of these presentations were also published in three whitepapers:
In 2010, Oracle Introduced the Oracle E-Business Oracle VM template. I was working on a project for which I needed to deploy Oracle E-Business Applications on Oracle VM environment . However I noticed that the Oracle EBS VM template downloaded from Oracle was a general template for the Oracle EBS vision instance. For the project, I needed to find out a way to virtualize the exisiting production Oracle E-Business suite system that currently ran on the physical environment . That is the backround that I came up the solution to migrate the Oracle EBS suite t to a virtual environment. As a result of the project, I put toegther a whitepaper about this solution:
and also presented this solution at several Oracle conferences:
I also worked on provisioning database and applications using Oracle Enterprise Manager’s Software library and provisioning procedures It can be considerred the early version of Oracle Cloud application provioning methods. Built in with Oracle Enterprise Grid control 10g, this method can quickly provision multiple node Oracle 10g RAC . Some of the early projects were presented at Oracle OpenWorld and Collaborate conferences:
- Automatic Oracle RAC Deployment and Implementing MegaGrid using Oracle EM Provisioning Pack, Oracle OpenWorld 2007, October 2007 San Francisco, California.
- Case Study: Implementing the Oracle Grid Computing on Dell Hardware for Multiple ERP Applications, Oracle OpenWorld 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California.
- Provisioning Oracle RAC in a Virtualized Environment, Using Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle OpenWorld 2009 presentation, October 2009, San Francisco, California.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle VM Automated Provisioning with Enterprise Manager 11g , Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 19, 2010, Session ID: S316318.
As a part of Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c cloud beta efforts, I worked with Oracle EM12c product engineers and product managers on a Dell | Oracle joint Oracle cloud project. This project aimed to architect and implement a privare cloud solution based on Oracle VM and managed by Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c. By importing Oracle VM templates into the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c’s software library, on this project we were able to implement the self service provisioning of applications in the Oracle cloud environment using Oracle VM templates. The result of this project was presented at Oracle OpenWorld 2011, right after Oracle officially announced Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c, total cloud control solution.
In 2012, as Oracle released new version of Oracle VM 3.0, we upgraded this cloud to Oracle VM 3.1.1 and implemented the self provisioning multiple tier applications using Oracle virtual assembilies. the newer version of Oracle cloud was presentated at Oracle Openworld 2012:
Another area I have worked on is the Oracle database cloud based on Oracle RAC technology with or without Oracle VM:
These are some of presentations that I have given on this area:
- Implementing Oracle Applications 11i on 10g RAC and ASM, Oracle OpenWorld 2006, October 2006 San Francisco, California.
- Implementing Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Through 11i to R12 Upgrade Path, OAUG Collaborate 08 presentation(April, 2008, Denver ,Colorado), Oracle OpenWorld 2007 Presentation (October 2007 San Francisco, California) (this present discussed the step by step method to migrate an Oracle EBS 11i with single node database to Oracle EBS R12 with a multiple node RAC database.
- Configuring Oracle E-Business Suite R12 with Oracle 10g RAC on Linux x86-64 platform, Oracle RAC SIG Web seminar, October 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California
- Monitoring and Diagnosing Oracle RAC Performance with Oracle Enterprise Manager. Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 23rd, 2010, Session ID:S316263
- RAC Performance Monitoring and Diagnosis using Oracle Enterprise Manager, IOUG Collaborate 10 Conference, Las Vegas, April 20, 2010.
- Oracle11g R2 Clusterware and RAC: Architecture , Configuration, Troubleshooting and Case study, Oracle OpenWorld Beijing 2010, Dec 16th,2010, Beijing, China
- Ensure the High Availability and Stability of Oracle RAC: Storage and Network Side Story ,Oracle Openworld 2011, session #09385, Sunday, 01:30 PM
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, session #328. IOUG Collaborate 12 , April 22-26, 2012, Las Vegas
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, a keynote Presentation at Oracle Technology Network Architect Day 2012,
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, Oracle Openworld 2012 session #CON3875
Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ’s January/Feb 2013 issue.
I was tasked by IOUG to organize the IOUG High Availability Boot Camp at Collaborate 12 conference. Today (March 19, 2012), I had an interview with Andrew Younger in IOUG to talk about the contents/topics on the High Availability boot camp. Here are the QAs of the interview:
Andrew: For whom are your sessions designed? (Who will get the most value out of them?)
Kai: As one of the IOUG educational Boot Camps at Collaborate 12 conference, the High Availability or HA boot camp runs on Monday and Tuesday. Why do we need two days, because High Availability is very critical for today’s IT system, and it has been also very challenge to design a cost effective HA solution and implement it properly to meet the high availability requirement of SLA. When we prepare for this boot camp, we have this goal in mind that we want to provide a good coverage of related technology and tips and tricks for the DBAs and architects or DBA managers who are looking for the advices and best practices for the high availability solutions of their Oracle database environments.
Andrew: What is the main focus of your sessions – do they address a specific problem or introduce an innovation?
Kai : In this two day boot camp, we total have 11 sessions presented by Oracle ACE/ACE directors, as well as other industry well known speakers who are recognized for their expertise on their areas. Through their presentations, the speakers are going to share their tips and tricks and lessons learned on their chosen topics.
These 11 sessions including 9 one hour sessions and 2 x 30 minute sessions, cover several Oracle HA related topics such as Data Guard, backup and recovery, RAC, RAC one Node, Oracle VM and GoldenGate, as well as the case studies of how to use these technology to achieve high availability in real world. Each of session will be presented independently. Attendees can choose any of them based on their interest. They also can go the IOUG website’s collaborate 12 boot camps tab and click the High Availability tab to see the list of the sessions and the schedules, titles and speakers:http://events.ioug.org/p/cm/ld/fid=65#ha
Andrew: What are the main points of learning that attendees will take with them back to their own work?
Kai: As a reviewer, I had a privilege to preview all the presentations contents and found a lot contents were based on real world practical experiences. The attendees can really leverage these course contents for a comprehensive learning experience. Without going too detail of each session, I would like to highlight some of the topics from this Boot Camp.
Session #544 by Syamal Bandyopadhyay will explore an overview of the various High Availability solutions and the considerations to design a cost effect HA solution for business and how they are used in good size IT department.
We will have two Data guard centric sessions #334 and #649: Session #334 by Manoj Machiwal will focus on how to leverage the Active Data Guard feature to utilize the secondary site for reporting purposing. Session #649 by Bonnie Bizzaro will discuss the best practices of configuring data guard for a RAC database using data guard broker.
Session #184 by Dong Wang is about the features and best practices of the latest GoldenGate v11 and some of the common use cases.
We will have two sessions focusing on backup and recovery. Session #711 by Oracle ACE Yury Velikanov will Shared his experience and lessons learned from his RMAN backup scripts auditing and how to eliminate the errors in your the backup process so that you can ensure the recoverability under stress. Session #492 by Oracle ACE Nelson Ariel Calero will talk about the Important Hidden features in RMAN , tips and tricks and sample code in command line interface ,Troubleshooting, and debugging techniques, practical examples, optimization techniques.
We have allocated three sessions to explore the technology to achieve server high availability such as Oracle RAC, RAC one and Oracle VM. Session #548 by Tom Reddy will discuss a 16 node Oracle 11gR2 RAC configuration case study,; session #373 by Leighton Nelson will discuss some of the RAC diagnostic tool and how to use these utilities for RAC trouble shoot and diagnose problem in RAC system. Session #840 by Oracle ACE director Kai Yu will discuss other cost effective options to achieve server HA such as RAC One Node and Oracle VM
Finally we have two case studies sessions to discuss how to reduce the planned downtime due to system upgrade and migration. Session 371 will go through a case study of migrating a system from a single Instance to RAC and also to upgrade from 10.2.0.4 to 126.96.36.199 up with minimal downtime using Data Guard. Session #633 by Oracle ACE director Tariq Farooq will get a 360-degrees deep-dive along with tips & tricks, recommendations, best practices, gotchas & lessons learned, on how to do online migration of a Single-Server Single-Instance Oracle Database to Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC) with Oracle Streams and Oracle Data Pump with almost zero downtime.
In summary, this two days high availability boot camp is designed to cover several major areas related to Oracle database high availability. This can be a great opportunity for speakers and colleagues to share their experience and learn each other. That also can be a great network opportunity and I would expect that more extensive knowledge sharing will also continue after the boot camp.
The biggest annual Oracle community event IOUG/OAUG/QUEST Collaborate conference will be held from April 22-26, 2012 at Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas. This year, I was asked to organize two educational events during the conference for IOUG: Oracle EM12c Deep Dive and High Availability Boot Camp. In addition I will give three technical presentations and attend a few panel discussions. Here are the detailed agenda.
1. Lead the Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control Deep Dive, Session #920, 9:am-3:pm, Sunday ,April 22nd, Room 8,
Title: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, Akanksha Sheoran(Oracle), Bala Kuchibhotla(Oracle), Mathew Mckerly (Oracle), Roger Lopez(Dell), Kai Yu (Dell)
Abstract: Recently Oracle released Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c cloud control as a total cloud control solution that provides a complete lifecycle management of the entire IT infrastructure. This deep dive will provide an educational opportunity focused on this new management solution. First you will learn the best practices of how to install and configure Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c along with how to upgrade your current Enterprise Manager grid control to the new 12c cloud control. Then you will learn how to leverage some of the best features of Enterprise Manager 12c to manage your IT infrastructure. Finally, you will explore how to use Oracle Enterprise Manager 12 to manage a provide cloud infrastructure.
2. Manage IOUG Collaborate 12 High Availability Boot Camp at Room 8, Monday, April 23, 9:45am-Tueday 24 5:30pm for12 HA Boot Camp sessions:#334, #548, #840, #225, #649, #184, #371, #633, #544, #711, #492, #373.
3. High Availability Boot Camp presentation: Alternative Options to Enhance the High Availability of your Oracle Database, Session 840, Room 8, Mon, Apr 23, 2012 (12:15 PM – 12:45 PM)
Abstract: You want to run your database in a high availability configuration; Oracle RAC provides the great solution to achieve the high availability against the server failure. However Oracle RAC license can be very expensive especially if your database is running on a physical server with a high number of CPU cores. Are there any other alternative options to achieve high availability for your database? This presentation will examine two practical solutions to this problem: Oracle Real Application Clusters One Node, and running database in a virtual environment such as Oracle VM. Both these solutions allow you to run a single node Oracle database with the capability to migrate or fail over to other server in case a server failure. Come to this session to learn how to implement and manage these solutions:
4. Virtualization Boot Camp presentation: Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0, Room 17, Mon, Apr 23, 2012 (03:45 PM – 04:45 PM)
Abstract: Virtualization technology provides the solution to enable the server partition and consolidation for improving the resource utilization and archiving the great flexibility and high availability. Combining Oracle VM with Oracle RAC provides the Database Cloud ready architecture to consolidate the data center infrastructure. The new Oracle VM 3.0 release not only improved the scalability, but also introduced the new Oracle VM Manager to provide centralized management and simplify and automate network and storage configuration. This session will share the experiences of author’s experience on Oracle VM 3.0 through beta program to the production release and give a step-by-step guild to configure such a virtual infrastructure for Oracle 11g R2 RAC database You will learn the basic Oracle VM architecture as well as the tips and tricks of configuring networks and shared storage through Oracle VM Manager 3.0 on the Oracle VM server layer as well as the Oracle virtual machine level to support 11g R2 RAC database deployment and operation. This presentation also discuss the Oracle RAC VM templates for the rapid deployment of Oracle RAC cluster on Oracle VM and some configuration best practices and methods to monitor and manage the performance of RAC database on Oracle VM with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.
5. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, Session #312 Room 17 , Tue, Apr 24, 2012 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Abstract: Recently released Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control provides a complete, out-of-the-box integrated solution for total private cloud management. This session will have a step-by-step walk-through for cloud and self-service administrators who are setting up a private cloud based on Oracle VM 3.0 provide infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS). You will learn the experiences from our private cloud project that helps speed your cloud deployment and minimize risk. The presentation also shows how to provision application services by using Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c self-service capabilities and manage application capacity dynamically.
6. Oracle E-Business Suite Applications Technology Customer Advisory Board meeting: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 11:45 AM – 2:00 PM
7. Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, Oracle VM Expert Panel, Wednesday, April 25, 9:30 am – 10:30 am, Location, Room 14, Panelists: Tariq Faooq, Honglin Su(Oracle), Mike Adult, Kai Yu
Description: Virtualization is the foundation stone in the Cloud Computing era.
The speakers will present, detail & elaborate Comprehensive Concepts Overview, Insight, Recommendations, Best Practices, Current Strategies, Pros & Cons, Relevance/Role in Cloud Computing, Prevalent/Dominant Paradigms & Technologies and, a whole lot more about Virtualization as, it relates to Oracle DBAs from the perspective of Oracle on Oracle VM.
8. Oracle RAC Expert Panel: schedule not confirmed.
9. Oracle RAC SIG Birds of a feather Panel: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 12:00pm – 12:30pm