It was a great honor for me to recieve the industry prestigeous award “2012 Oracle Excellence Award: Technologist of the Year for Cloud Architect ” from Oracle Mazgine. Although I received this award at Oracle OpenWorld 2012 in San Francisco in early Octorber 2012, the award was officially announced on the Oracle Magzine’s January/Feburary 2013 issue .
My original backgroud was Oracle DBA and Oracle Applications DBA. My experiences was mainly on managing large Oracle RAC databases and Oracle E-Business applications suite running on complex muitple nodes environment such an Oracle Grid. In late 2008, as a part of addtional responsibilites of my job, I started working on Oracle virtualization technology specifically Oracle VM for X86-64 platform . Since then Oracle VM has become of one of my favour technologies. Natually I started looking at the best practices of running and deployment Oracle RAC databas, Oracle E-Business suite applications on the Oracle VM enviroment. The Oracle OpenWorld 2009 confernece allowed me to give three presentation sessions about my work on Oracle VM technology:
- Oracle E-Business Suite on Oracle RAC and Oracle VM: Architecture and Implementation,
- Building an Oracle Grid with Oracle VM on Dell Blade Servers and EqualLogic iSCSI storage,
- Provisioning Oracle RAC in a Virtualized Environment, Using Oracle Enterprise Manager.
And the contents of these presentations were also published in three whitepapers:
- Implementing Oracle® E-Business Suite in a Scalable and Reliable Virtual System Architecture , Dell Oracle Solutions Whitepaper, January 2010
- Building an Oracle® Grid with Oracle VM on Dell™ Blade Servers and Dell EqualLogic™ iSCSI Storage, Dell Oracle Solutions Whitepaper, October 2009.
- Provisioning Oracle RAC in a Virtualized Environment, Using Oracle Enterprise Manager, IOUG Collaborate 10 Conference Whitepaper, April 21, 2010.
In 2010, Oracle Introduced the Oracle E-Business Oracle VM template. I was working on a project for which I needed to deploy Oracle E-Business Applications on Oracle VM environment . However I noticed that the Oracle EBS VM template downloaded from Oracle was a general template for the Oracle EBS vision instance. For the project, I needed to find out a way to virtualize the exisiting production Oracle E-Business suite system that currently ran on the physical environment . That is the backround that I came up the solution to migrate the Oracle EBS suite t to a virtual environment. As a result of the project, I put toegther a whitepaper about this solution:
- Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.OAUG Collaborate 11 Conference whitepaper, April, 2011
and also presented this solution at several Oracle conferences:
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment , UKOUG Conference Series Technology & E-Business Suite 2010, Nov 29th 2010, Birmingham, UK, and OAUG Collaborate 11 conference, EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 Conferences. The solution received the 2011 OAUG Innovator of Year award by OAUG (Oracle Applications User Group).
I also worked on provisioning database and applications using Oracle Enterprise Manager’s Software library and provisioning procedures It can be considerred the early version of Oracle Cloud application provioning methods. Built in with Oracle Enterprise Grid control 10g, this method can quickly provision multiple node Oracle 10g RAC . Some of the early projects were presented at Oracle OpenWorld and Collaborate conferences:
- Automatic Oracle RAC Deployment and Implementing MegaGrid using Oracle EM Provisioning Pack, Oracle OpenWorld 2007, October 2007 San Francisco, California.
- Case Study: Implementing the Oracle Grid Computing on Dell Hardware for Multiple ERP Applications, Oracle OpenWorld 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California.
- Provisioning Oracle RAC in a Virtualized Environment, Using Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle OpenWorld 2009 presentation, October 2009, San Francisco, California.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle VM Automated Provisioning with Enterprise Manager 11g , Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 19, 2010, Session ID: S316318.
As a part of Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c cloud beta efforts, I worked with Oracle EM12c product engineers and product managers on a Dell | Oracle joint Oracle cloud project. This project aimed to architect and implement a privare cloud solution based on Oracle VM and managed by Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c. By importing Oracle VM templates into the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c’s software library, on this project we were able to implement the self service provisioning of applications in the Oracle cloud environment using Oracle VM templates. The result of this project was presented at Oracle OpenWorld 2011, right after Oracle officially announced Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c, total cloud control solution.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager , Oracle Openworld 2011,session#06980,
In 2012, as Oracle released new version of Oracle VM 3.0, we upgraded this cloud to Oracle VM 3.1.1 and implemented the self provisioning multiple tier applications using Oracle virtual assembilies. the newer version of Oracle cloud was presentated at Oracle Openworld 2012:
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, Oracle OpenWorld 2012 Session #CON5206
Another area I have worked on is the Oracle database cloud based on Oracle RAC technology with or without Oracle VM:
These are some of presentations that I have given on this area:
- Implementing Oracle Applications 11i on 10g RAC and ASM, Oracle OpenWorld 2006, October 2006 San Francisco, California.
- Implementing Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Through 11i to R12 Upgrade Path, OAUG Collaborate 08 presentation(April, 2008, Denver ,Colorado), Oracle OpenWorld 2007 Presentation (October 2007 San Francisco, California) (this present discussed the step by step method to migrate an Oracle EBS 11i with single node database to Oracle EBS R12 with a multiple node RAC database.
- Configuring Oracle E-Business Suite R12 with Oracle 10g RAC on Linux x86-64 platform, Oracle RAC SIG Web seminar, October 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California
- Monitoring and Diagnosing Oracle RAC Performance with Oracle Enterprise Manager. Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 23rd, 2010, Session ID:S316263
- RAC Performance Monitoring and Diagnosis using Oracle Enterprise Manager, IOUG Collaborate 10 Conference, Las Vegas, April 20, 2010.
- Oracle11g R2 Clusterware and RAC: Architecture , Configuration, Troubleshooting and Case study, Oracle OpenWorld Beijing 2010, Dec 16th,2010, Beijing, China
- Ensure the High Availability and Stability of Oracle RAC: Storage and Network Side Story ,Oracle Openworld 2011, session #09385, Sunday, 01:30 PM
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, session #328. IOUG Collaborate 12 , April 22-26, 2012, Las Vegas
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, a keynote Presentation at Oracle Technology Network Architect Day 2012,
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, Oracle Openworld 2012 session #CON3875