The Oracle OpenWorld 2013 will be held from Sunday September 22 to Thursday September 26. This is my 8th year Oracle OpenWorld experience. Since Oracle OpenWorld 2006, I have given total 16 Oracle OpenWorld presentations in the last 7 Oracle OpenWorld conferences. As usually this year my Oracle OpenWorld participation will start with two days Oracle ACE director Oracle product briefing in Oracle Cooperation Headquarter in Redwood shore on Thursday and Friday . After having a Saturday break, I will start my Oracle OpenWorld 2013 journey which includes six presentation/panel sessions and many meetings and networking activities. The most importantly I will have chances to meet many friends in Oracle community from different parts of the world. Here I list the six sessions that I will present or participate. It is my honor to have the opportunity to co-present these sessions with the great speakers from the Oracle community. And I look forward to having great discussions with those who are interested in the related topics:
1. Clustering/High Availability with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c: 360 Degrees [UGF9803]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM – Moscone West – 3016
2. Oracle VM and Virtualization Best Practices: Expert Panel Discussion [UGF9809]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , George Trujillo, Charles Kim , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM – Moscone West – 3018
3. Extend Oracle Database Management with Quest Tools from Dell [CON11326]
Speakers: Guy Harrison, Steven Feuerstein, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 1:45 PM – 2:45 PM – Moscone South – 250
4. Best Practices for Deploying Highly Scalable Virtualized Oracle Applications [CON11257]
Speakers:Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu, AJ Schifano
Monday, Sep 23, 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM – Westin San Francisco – Concordia
5. Configuring Database Cloud with Oracle Database 12c on Dell Blades: Methods/Tips [CON11220]
Speakers: David Mar, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM – Moscone South – 250
6. Accelerating OLTP Databases with Flash-Based Storage: Case Studies [CON11235]
Speakers: Naveen Iyengar, Kai Yu, Guy Harrison
Tuesday, Sep 24, 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Moscone South – 250
Besides of my presentations, I also plan to attend some technical sessions including some OakTableWorld sessions and technical deep dive sessions. I will have some meetings with Oracle engineers and product managers in Oracle virtualization, Oracle RAC and Oracle Linux .
Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ‘s January/Feb 2013 issue.
PCIe SSDs are built with SLC NAND flash and designed for applications that require low latency and high IOPs (IO Per Second) operations. OLTP database workloads which require very low storage IO latency with many small random read/write IO operations are one the idea cases to use PCIe SSDs to ehnance the performance.
To understand how much PCIe SSDs can really improve OLTP database performance, I have conducted several extensive performance studies on a single node Oracle 11g R2 database as well as a two node 11gR2 Oracle Real Application clusters (RAC) database running on Dell PowerEdge R720 servers with Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs on Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.2 platform.
If you are interested in how much performance gains you can expect these PCIe SSDs and some of the best practices of optimizing Oracle database using PCIe SSDs , you can check out my blog post and a detailed whitepaper published on Dell TechCenter Blogs with the following link:
The url to the post on the Dell Techcenter Blogs including the presentation pdf and the recorded audio and video is :