Archive for the ‘IOUG Virtualization SIG’ Category
The Oracle OpenWorld 2013 will be held from Sunday September 22 to Thursday September 26. This is my 8th year Oracle OpenWorld experience. Since Oracle OpenWorld 2006, I have given total 16 Oracle OpenWorld presentations in the last 7 Oracle OpenWorld conferences. As usually this year my Oracle OpenWorld participation will start with two days Oracle ACE director Oracle product briefing in Oracle Cooperation Headquarter in Redwood shore on Thursday and Friday . After having a Saturday break, I will start my Oracle OpenWorld 2013 journey which includes six presentation/panel sessions and many meetings and networking activities. The most importantly I will have chances to meet many friends in Oracle community from different parts of the world. Here I list the six sessions that I will present or participate. It is my honor to have the opportunity to co-present these sessions with the great speakers from the Oracle community. And I look forward to having great discussions with those who are interested in the related topics:
1. Clustering/High Availability with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c: 360 Degrees [UGF9803]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM – Moscone West – 3016
2. Oracle VM and Virtualization Best Practices: Expert Panel Discussion [UGF9809]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , George Trujillo, Charles Kim , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM – Moscone West – 3018
3. Extend Oracle Database Management with Quest Tools from Dell [CON11326]
Speakers: Guy Harrison, Steven Feuerstein, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 1:45 PM – 2:45 PM – Moscone South – 250
4. Best Practices for Deploying Highly Scalable Virtualized Oracle Applications [CON11257]
Speakers:Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu, AJ Schifano
Monday, Sep 23, 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM – Westin San Francisco – Concordia
5. Configuring Database Cloud with Oracle Database 12c on Dell Blades: Methods/Tips [CON11220]
Speakers: David Mar, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM – Moscone South – 250
6. Accelerating OLTP Databases with Flash-Based Storage: Case Studies [CON11235]
Speakers: Naveen Iyengar, Kai Yu, Guy Harrison
Tuesday, Sep 24, 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Moscone South – 250
Besides of my presentations, I also plan to attend some technical sessions including some OakTableWorld sessions and technical deep dive sessions. I will have some meetings with Oracle engineers and product managers in Oracle virtualization, Oracle RAC and Oracle Linux .
It was a great honor for me to recieve the industry prestigeous award “2012 Oracle Excellence Award: Technologist of the Year for Cloud Architect ” from Oracle Mazgine. Although I received this award at Oracle OpenWorld 2012 in San Francisco in early Octorber 2012, the award was officially announced on the Oracle Magzine’s January/Feburary 2013 issue .
My original backgroud was Oracle DBA and Oracle Applications DBA. My experiences was mainly on managing large Oracle RAC databases and Oracle E-Business applications suite running on complex muitple nodes environment such an Oracle Grid. In late 2008, as a part of addtional responsibilites of my job, I started working on Oracle virtualization technology specifically Oracle VM for X86-64 platform . Since then Oracle VM has become of one of my favour technologies. Natually I started looking at the best practices of running and deployment Oracle RAC databas, Oracle E-Business suite applications on the Oracle VM enviroment. The Oracle OpenWorld 2009 confernece allowed me to give three presentation sessions about my work on Oracle VM technology:
And the contents of these presentations were also published in three whitepapers:
In 2010, Oracle Introduced the Oracle E-Business Oracle VM template. I was working on a project for which I needed to deploy Oracle E-Business Applications on Oracle VM environment . However I noticed that the Oracle EBS VM template downloaded from Oracle was a general template for the Oracle EBS vision instance. For the project, I needed to find out a way to virtualize the exisiting production Oracle E-Business suite system that currently ran on the physical environment . That is the backround that I came up the solution to migrate the Oracle EBS suite t to a virtual environment. As a result of the project, I put toegther a whitepaper about this solution:
and also presented this solution at several Oracle conferences:
I also worked on provisioning database and applications using Oracle Enterprise Manager’s Software library and provisioning procedures It can be considerred the early version of Oracle Cloud application provioning methods. Built in with Oracle Enterprise Grid control 10g, this method can quickly provision multiple node Oracle 10g RAC . Some of the early projects were presented at Oracle OpenWorld and Collaborate conferences:
- Automatic Oracle RAC Deployment and Implementing MegaGrid using Oracle EM Provisioning Pack, Oracle OpenWorld 2007, October 2007 San Francisco, California.
- Case Study: Implementing the Oracle Grid Computing on Dell Hardware for Multiple ERP Applications, Oracle OpenWorld 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California.
- Provisioning Oracle RAC in a Virtualized Environment, Using Oracle Enterprise Manager, Oracle OpenWorld 2009 presentation, October 2009, San Francisco, California.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle VM Automated Provisioning with Enterprise Manager 11g , Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 19, 2010, Session ID: S316318.
As a part of Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c cloud beta efforts, I worked with Oracle EM12c product engineers and product managers on a Dell | Oracle joint Oracle cloud project. This project aimed to architect and implement a privare cloud solution based on Oracle VM and managed by Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c. By importing Oracle VM templates into the Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c’s software library, on this project we were able to implement the self service provisioning of applications in the Oracle cloud environment using Oracle VM templates. The result of this project was presented at Oracle OpenWorld 2011, right after Oracle officially announced Oracle Enetrprise Manager 12c, total cloud control solution.
In 2012, as Oracle released new version of Oracle VM 3.0, we upgraded this cloud to Oracle VM 3.1.1 and implemented the self provisioning multiple tier applications using Oracle virtual assembilies. the newer version of Oracle cloud was presentated at Oracle Openworld 2012:
Another area I have worked on is the Oracle database cloud based on Oracle RAC technology with or without Oracle VM:
These are some of presentations that I have given on this area:
- Implementing Oracle Applications 11i on 10g RAC and ASM, Oracle OpenWorld 2006, October 2006 San Francisco, California.
- Implementing Oracle E-Business Suite R12 Through 11i to R12 Upgrade Path, OAUG Collaborate 08 presentation(April, 2008, Denver ,Colorado), Oracle OpenWorld 2007 Presentation (October 2007 San Francisco, California) (this present discussed the step by step method to migrate an Oracle EBS 11i with single node database to Oracle EBS R12 with a multiple node RAC database.
- Configuring Oracle E-Business Suite R12 with Oracle 10g RAC on Linux x86-64 platform, Oracle RAC SIG Web seminar, October 2008, November 2008, San Francisco, California
- Monitoring and Diagnosing Oracle RAC Performance with Oracle Enterprise Manager. Oracle OpenWorld 2010, Sept. 23rd, 2010, Session ID:S316263
- RAC Performance Monitoring and Diagnosis using Oracle Enterprise Manager, IOUG Collaborate 10 Conference, Las Vegas, April 20, 2010.
- Oracle11g R2 Clusterware and RAC: Architecture , Configuration, Troubleshooting and Case study, Oracle OpenWorld Beijing 2010, Dec 16th,2010, Beijing, China
- Ensure the High Availability and Stability of Oracle RAC: Storage and Network Side Story ,Oracle Openworld 2011, session #09385, Sunday, 01:30 PM
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, session #328. IOUG Collaborate 12 , April 22-26, 2012, Las Vegas
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, a keynote Presentation at Oracle Technology Network Architect Day 2012,
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, Oracle Openworld 2012 session #CON3875
Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ‘s January/Feb 2013 issue.
IOUG Virtualization SIG Call for Presentations
Annual IOUG Virtualization Symposium, November 7-8, 2012
The IOUG Virtualization Special Interest Group (SIG) invites you to share your knowledge and experience on virtualization technology at the annual IOUG Virtualization Symposium on November 7-8, 2012. The speakers are expected to give their presentation for a 1-hour online session through an online conference facility. No travel is required. The symposium will run two days with the focus on Oracle–Centric Virtualization, with focus on Oracle VM on the first day VMware virtualization on the second day. We expect 500 attendees to participate this virtual seminar through the web conference.
Your presentations should be technical in nature. If you are interested in speaking at one of the sessions at the seminar, please submit your presentation abstract through this link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PVTTYZQ.
The submission deadline is Sunday, August 26, 2012, The acceptance notification will be sent out on Friday, Septmber 7, 2012.
Virtualization is the foundation stone in the Cloud Computing space and an integral part of the IT ecosystem. The IOUG Virtualization SIG is dedicated to communication and information around all areas of virtualization.
The IOUG Virtualization SIG was first established at Oracle OpenWorld 2011. The main purpose of the SIG is to discuss and share the key challenges, options, and best practices for virtualizing Oracle. Topics will be discussed freely in this open forum and will touch on server virtualization, desktop virtualization, storage management, Oracle VM, VMware and EMC.
Last week IOUG announced the nine members of th IOUG Virtualization SIG volunteer leaders for 2012. They are:
President and Website Chair : Tariq Farooq
Vice President: George Trujillo
Vendor Liaison Chair: Michael Corey
Content and Resource Chair: Dr. Bert Scalzo
Web Events Chair: Kai Yu
Board Liaison: Maria Anderson
Member at Large: Michael Ault
Member at Large: Charles Kim
Member at Large: Syed Jaffar Hussain
To learn more about the Virtualization SIG and the how to be a member of the SIG, go to http://www.ioug.org/virtualization.
IOUG Virtualization SIG is proud to announce the first onlin education webinar:
Upcoming IOUG Virtualization SIG Webinar
Top 10 Tips to Accelerate Oracle VM Deployments
Monday, April 16, 12-1pm CDT
Speakers: Gregory King and Honglin Su, Oracle
Abstract : As customers focus on delivering complete solutions, they are looking to virtualization to help them transform the datacenter – moving beyond server consolidation to improving application deployment and management, particularly with Oracle VM 3 which is the latest release of Oracle’s server virtualization solution. In this webcast, you’ll learn the top tips from experts as to how to deploy an Oracle VM x86 server virtualization environment rapidly and reliably to provide an agile infrastructure for making your enterprise applications easier to deploy, easier to manage, and easier to support. If you are an Oracle VM administrator or just learning about Oracle VM, you won’t want to miss this webcast.