Archive for the ‘IOUG webinar’ Category
Title: Oracle Multitenant: The Beating Heart of #DBaaS
Featured Speaker: Debaditya Chatterjee, Product Manager for the Oracle Multitenant
Start time: Dec 09, 2014 01:00 PM America/Eastern
End time: Dec 09, 2014 02:00 PM America/Eastern
The tripod of Oracle database as a service (DBaaS) rests on the strong legs of Oracle Multitenant as the enabling database architecture; Oracle Enterprise Manager for orchestration; and Oracle’s engineered systems, such as Oracle Exadata and Oracle SuperCluster, as the consolidation platforms. This total solution from a single vendor is unmatched. This session explores in detail various key capabilities of the multitenant architecture that deliver on the promise of DBaaS today.
Please sign up this webinar on this registration Link: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/911549736
For details, refer to IOUG webinar link: http://www.ioug.org/p/ca/vi/sid=384
Join the IOUG Cloud Computing SIG on http://www.ioug.org/p/cm/ld/fid=148&gid=60
Vice President of the IOUG Cloud Computing SIG
Oracle ACE Director
Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ‘s January/Feb 2013 issue.
IOUG Virtualization SIG Call for Presentations
Annual IOUG Virtualization Symposium, November 7-8, 2012
The IOUG Virtualization Special Interest Group (SIG) invites you to share your knowledge and experience on virtualization technology at the annual IOUG Virtualization Symposium on November 7-8, 2012. The speakers are expected to give their presentation for a 1-hour online session through an online conference facility. No travel is required. The symposium will run two days with the focus on Oracle–Centric Virtualization, with focus on Oracle VM on the first day VMware virtualization on the second day. We expect 500 attendees to participate this virtual seminar through the web conference.
Your presentations should be technical in nature. If you are interested in speaking at one of the sessions at the seminar, please submit your presentation abstract through this link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PVTTYZQ.
The submission deadline is Sunday, August 26, 2012, The acceptance notification will be sent out on Friday, Septmber 7, 2012.
Virtualization is the foundation stone in the Cloud Computing space and an integral part of the IT ecosystem. The IOUG Virtualization SIG is dedicated to communication and information around all areas of virtualization.
The IOUG Virtualization SIG was first established at Oracle OpenWorld 2011. The main purpose of the SIG is to discuss and share the key challenges, options, and best practices for virtualizing Oracle. Topics will be discussed freely in this open forum and will touch on server virtualization, desktop virtualization, storage management, Oracle VM, VMware and EMC.
Last week IOUG announced the nine members of th IOUG Virtualization SIG volunteer leaders for 2012. They are:
President and Website Chair : Tariq Farooq
Vice President: George Trujillo
Vendor Liaison Chair: Michael Corey
Content and Resource Chair: Dr. Bert Scalzo
Web Events Chair: Kai Yu
Board Liaison: Maria Anderson
Member at Large: Michael Ault
Member at Large: Charles Kim
Member at Large: Syed Jaffar Hussain
To learn more about the Virtualization SIG and the how to be a member of the SIG, go to http://www.ioug.org/virtualization.
IOUG Virtualization SIG is proud to announce the first onlin education webinar:
Upcoming IOUG Virtualization SIG Webinar
Top 10 Tips to Accelerate Oracle VM Deployments
Monday, April 16, 12-1pm CDT
Speakers: Gregory King and Honglin Su, Oracle
Abstract : As customers focus on delivering complete solutions, they are looking to virtualization to help them transform the datacenter – moving beyond server consolidation to improving application deployment and management, particularly with Oracle VM 3 which is the latest release of Oracle’s server virtualization solution. In this webcast, you’ll learn the top tips from experts as to how to deploy an Oracle VM x86 server virtualization environment rapidly and reliably to provide an agile infrastructure for making your enterprise applications easier to deploy, easier to manage, and easier to support. If you are an Oracle VM administrator or just learning about Oracle VM, you won’t want to miss this webcast.
On Sept 21, 2011, Saar Moaoz from Oracle RAC Pack Team and I co-
presented an IOUG Virtualization online education session:
“Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM: Methods/Tips.”
This presentation was based on Oracle VM 3.0 technology, which was
released a few weeks before this presentation. After the presentation,
we have recieved a few questions about Oracle VM and RAC. Both of Saar
and I provided the answers for these questions. IOUG has posted the
QAs and the actual presentation video recording on IOUG IOUG Webinar
Archieve. I copied some of these quesions and answers as follow. For
more details and the actual presentation recording, please visit this link. You also can download the presentation pdf here.
Copy of the some Questions and Answers:
Q: Is there any written tutorials/white papers on how to setup a RAC
on an Oracle VM?
A: To use the RAC OVM Templates, http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/clustering/overview/rac-template-11grel2-166623.html. For whitepaper on RAC/OVM: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/clustering/oracle-rac-in-oracle-vm-environment-131948.pdfFor RAC support on Vmware, it is supported, just not certified, see My
Oracle Support Note: https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=249212.1
Q: Is it supported to increase the size of System.img file (plenty of
approaches is available in the internet), since it is based on block
device and not LVM, which could eliminate this problem?
A: Yes, the templates are a starting point, you are welcome to tune/
tailor them further to your environments.
Q: Why should in production support template shared disk be on a local
disk? How different node from multiple host can access them?
A: Test deployment allows a special case, where the DB files are on
localdisks, in that case all VMs forming the cluster must run on the
same Dom0/OVS server. For production, shared disks must be used and
accessible from all Dom0/OVS Servers. “lsinventory” output is available
inside the zip file of each template, no need to create a VM, simply
unzip and look at lsinventory output.
Q: Can RAC on VM use ASM instead of OCFS?
A: RAC inside the guests uses ASM, not OCFS2. On Dom0, for the
repository, OVM may use NFS or OCFS2, but this places only the
OS/Oracle VM files, not the database which is in ASM as said before.
Q: Will there be an OVM setup for RAC One Node?
A: The current RAC OVM Templates support RAC ONE NODE. Simply follow
note# 1232802.1. Create a service, then use the convert database
command. Note the troubleshooting section at bottom of that article.
Q: Does the template work when you deploy virtual images on different
physical boxes and club them as nodes in RAC implementation?
A: Yes, the templates work for production (where each VM is on different
Dom0),or for test (where some or all VMs may be on same dom0).
Q: Installation instruction for installing RAC11g2 under OVM3?. pdf files
are for ovm 2.
A: The basic steps are the same. Import the template w/Manager, create
the VMs, attach shared disks, adjust CPU/Memory. The only catch is to
remove the xenbr0/1 on the template and map it to the bridge names in
OVM3. We will have a reference document to highlight only these
differences in some time.
Q: Do I need to install OVM 3.0 before I start applying my VM
templates for RAC database?
A: Yes. You need to install Oracle VM servers and VM manager
and configure the virtual infrastructure before using VM template.
Q: I am not clear how to proceed if I have bare bone server
A: Here is an outline of the steps.
1. Install Oracle VM server,
2. Install Oracle VM manager
3. Configure shared storage and networks on VM servers
4. Download and import the VM templates including RAC VM
5. Create VMs using templates
6. configure the virtual networks and virtual storage on VMs
7. following the step given by Saar to configure RAC on the
VMs. The first part of the presentation covers the virtual
infrastructure configuration (step 1-6) .
The IOUG vritualization Webinar presented by Saar Maoz and myself
was very well recieived. Accoriding to the IOUG statistics, there
were 444 registrants and 192 people attending the sessoion. In the
first part, I spent 30 minutes showing some of new features
of Oracle VM 3.0 and how to build the virtual infrasturcture for
deploying and running RAC with Oracle VM server 3.0 and Oracle VM
In the second half of session, Saar presented Oracle RAC templats
and did a live demo how to build a two node 11gR2 RAC database on
Oracle VMs using RAC VM template in less than one hour.
If you are interested in reviewing the presentation again, IOUG has
posted the live recording of this presentation click here: