Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ‘s January/Feb 2013 issue.
The url to the post on the Dell Techcenter Blogs including the presentation pdf and the recorded audio and video is :
On May 30-June 1st, I was invited to present at 3rd EMEA OUG Harmony conference. The conference was held on two locations: at Aulanko, Hameenlinna , Finland on May 30-May31 and Riga , Lativa on June 1st. My presentations at Finland conference were 1) Oracle11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture and Best Practices of Configuration and Troubleshooting; 2) Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment, while my presentation at Lativa conference site was Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
The session “Oracle11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture and Best Practices of Configuration and Troubleshooting” aimed to provide DBAs some practical understanding and best practices of 11g R2 RAC infrastructure that are crucial to the stability and scalability of the RAC database. In this session I started with some technical discussions on the architecture of 11g R2 Clusterware and ASM; then focused on the shared storage and ASM best practices for OCR/voting disks, ACFS and RAC database files. I spend some time on configuration of SCAN IP, GNS service and the private interconnect. At the end, I covered some tips and the diagnostic tools for troubleshooting clusterware issues such as node eviction . Presentation slides can be downloaded from here:
The session “Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment ” discussed the a newly developed method to migrate an existing Oracle E-Business system on physical servers to a virtual environment and also to learn how to create and use the VM templates of customers’ own project specific Oracle E-Business systems for on-going project. The session discussed how to leverage the benefits of Oracle VM such as high availability and scalability and server partitioning for Oracle E-Business suite R12.1 infrastructure. The methods mentioned in this presentation won the 2011 OAUG innovator of the year award.The presentation slides can be downloaded here for Finland conference and here for Lativa conference.
A great highlight of attending OUG EMEA Harmony 2012 conferencde was to meet the legendary relational database researcher and author Chris J Date. I took the photo below while Chirs J Date was giving his keynote presentation “Missing Information”:
Infrastructure high availability is extremely critical to Cloud Computing. In a Cloud system that hosts a large number of databases and applications with different SLAs, any unplanned outage can be devastating, and even a small planned downtime may be unacceptable. On May 16, 2012, I gave a guest keynote presentation High Availability Infrastructure of Cloud Computing at Oracle Architect Day Event hosted by Oracle Technology Network (OTN). This event kicked off the 2012 Architect Day series for IT solution architects. During the presentation, I covered the best practice of configuring IT infrastructure such as servers, storage, network, Operating system , also discussed the high availability architecture that system architects should consider in cloud infrastructure design. These include Oracle Real Application Cluster, Virtualization and Disaster Recovery solutions. After the presentation, I also attended the panel session and the round table session for QAs and more extensive discussions on high availability and cloud.
My keynote presentation slides can be downloaded here . The recorded video and audio of the presentation soon will be available for download here .
On March 14, 2o12, Oracle issued the call for paper for this year’s Oracle OpenWorld conference. The call for paper will end on April 9, 2012.
Oracle OpenWorld is the biggest IT conference. While the magority of presentations will be given by Oracle speakers, some percentage of presentation slots will be allocated for speakers from Oracle community . According to the Oracle OpenWorld Blog (https://blogs.oracle.com/oracleopenworld/entry/calling_all_papers), each year more than 3000 submissions compete for these slots and roughly 18% of the submissions get accepted. It is a tough competition! Those lucky winners will get a chance to speak at this prestige IT conference as well as a free ticket to the conference.
Since 2006 , I have been lucky enough to get at leat one presentation accepted every year. It has been a really great experience to attend and speak at the conference. The following is a list of my OOW presentations (not including panels) since 2006. For this year’s OOW submission, there are a few topics in my mind based on the projects and the lessons learned I had in the past year and some projects that I am currently working on. I will make sure to submit them by April 9th’s deadline.
OOW 2010 Beijing:
As a tradition, Oracle ACE diretor briefing is held in Oracle HQ in Redwood Shores . This product briefing covers some of the latest development of Oracle Technology that will be announced on coming Oracle OpenWorld. It is very exciting to see this new technology. It is also an Oracle ACE director family reunion. Greate to see all these good friends from all over the world.
Oracle Executive Vice President Tomas Kurian gave an opening address.
Oralce Vice President Database Product Manageemnt Mark Townsend talked about Database products.