Archive for the ‘Oracle Technology Network’ Category
I will give an Oracle technology presentation at the first OTN MENA (Middle East & North Africa) tour May 27, 2014. This presentation will be given online which can be attended remotely anywhere in the world. The following is detailed information about this presentation:
Title: Oracle 12c RAC Flex Architecture and support for RAC 12c Multitenant Architecture
Speaker: Kai Yu
Time: May 27th 2:35pm – 3:25pm Tunis time, which is 8:35-m-9:35 am US central time.
Web link to attend the presentation remotely: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/439651800
Oracle 12c RAC Flex Architecture and support for RAC 12c Multitenant Architecture
High Availability and Scalability become increasing important for IT infrastructure as application and database consolidation has become a key initiative in the data center. The Latest Oracle 12c RAC provide the right solution to achieve these goals with Oracle12c RAC and the multitenant architecture. Come to this session to learn these new features from the author of the Oracle 12c New feature chapter of the Apress book Expert Oracle RAC 12c .
This session will provide the technical details on these new features such as Flex Clusters and Flex ASM and how to manage them to achieve the business benefits. This session also examines how Oracle RAC supports Oracle multitenant architecture and how these two important technologies work together to enable the highly available, scalable and cost-effective database infrastructure.
• Learn the Oracle RAC 12c: Flex Clusters and flex ASM their benefits and how to manage them
• Learn Oracle 12c RAC support for Oracle multitenant architecture
• Learn how to leverage these new features to establish the foundation for a database
This presentation is a part of the OTN MENA Oracle technology conference tour, which covers five major Middle East and North Africa cities in two continents: Bizerte, Beia, Riyah, Jeddah, and Dubai. The conference tour brings a star-studded cast, consisting of some of the world’s best Oracle ACEs, ACE Directors and Rock Star Speakers to the region.
To find the entire OTN MENA conference tour presentation schedule and topics, please visit the OTN MENA tour website at http://otnmenatour.org/
The Oracle OpenWorld 2013 will be held from Sunday September 22 to Thursday September 26. This is my 8th year Oracle OpenWorld experience. Since Oracle OpenWorld 2006, I have given total 16 Oracle OpenWorld presentations in the last 7 Oracle OpenWorld conferences. As usually this year my Oracle OpenWorld participation will start with two days Oracle ACE director Oracle product briefing in Oracle Cooperation Headquarter in Redwood shore on Thursday and Friday . After having a Saturday break, I will start my Oracle OpenWorld 2013 journey which includes six presentation/panel sessions and many meetings and networking activities. The most importantly I will have chances to meet many friends in Oracle community from different parts of the world. Here I list the six sessions that I will present or participate. It is my honor to have the opportunity to co-present these sessions with the great speakers from the Oracle community. And I look forward to having great discussions with those who are interested in the related topics:
1. Clustering/High Availability with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c: 360 Degrees [UGF9803]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM – Moscone West – 3016
2. Oracle VM and Virtualization Best Practices: Expert Panel Discussion [UGF9809]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , George Trujillo, Charles Kim , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM – Moscone West – 3018
3. Extend Oracle Database Management with Quest Tools from Dell [CON11326]
Speakers: Guy Harrison, Steven Feuerstein, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 1:45 PM – 2:45 PM – Moscone South – 250
4. Best Practices for Deploying Highly Scalable Virtualized Oracle Applications [CON11257]
Speakers:Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu, AJ Schifano
Monday, Sep 23, 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM – Westin San Francisco – Concordia
5. Configuring Database Cloud with Oracle Database 12c on Dell Blades: Methods/Tips [CON11220]
Speakers: David Mar, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM – Moscone South – 250
6. Accelerating OLTP Databases with Flash-Based Storage: Case Studies [CON11235]
Speakers: Naveen Iyengar, Kai Yu, Guy Harrison
Tuesday, Sep 24, 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Moscone South – 250
Besides of my presentations, I also plan to attend some technical sessions including some OakTableWorld sessions and technical deep dive sessions. I will have some meetings with Oracle engineers and product managers in Oracle virtualization, Oracle RAC and Oracle Linux .
July 14-24, 2013, I participated 2013 OTN (Oracle Technology Network ) Latin America conference tour. During this tour I gave nine presentations at four conferences: OUG Ecuador , OUG Guatemala, Oug Panama, OUG COsta Rica. The presentaions covered the following topics. The actual presentations will be uploaded into this blog site under ‘Presentation’ tab.
1. High Availability Infrastructure of Database Cloud: Architecture, Best Practices:
Today in a database cloud that consolidates a large number of databases with different SLAs, any unplanned outage can be devastating and a small planned downtime may not be acceptable. The infrastructure high availability becomes extremely critical to a database cloud. This session will start with the system architect design and discuss the various techniques and options to achieve the high availability such as Oracle Clusterware/RAC, Data Guard and Oracle MAA. Then it will explore the configuration best practices to ensure fault tolerance of the entire stack of the infrastructure. It will also discuss the methods to reduce downtime during events like system upgrade and migration and the troubleshooting during system outage. This presentation will discuss soem of Oracle 12c new features such as Oracle Flex Clusters, Oracl Pluggable databases running on Oracle RAC 12c.
2. Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud using Virtual assemblies and EM 12c
Oracle virtual assemblies provide a great way to simply the deployment of enterprise-class multi-tier applications and their configuration dependencies. Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder 11gR1 can create Oracle virtual assembly packages by capturing the state of an installed application topology. Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c can deploy these assemblies in the cloud resulting in fully operational application stack within minutes. This session will walk you step by step through the Oracle virtual assembly creation process. Then we will discuss the configuration of an infrastructure cloud based on Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control and demonstrate how to use Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control to deploy an assembly on the Oracle infrastructure cloud.
3. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using PCIE Solid State Drive (SSD)
PCIe SSD is an enterprise class high performance storage device. It is built with SLC NAND flash and designed for applications that require low latency and high IOPs (IO Per Second) operation. OLTP database workloads which require very low storage IO latency with many small random read/write IO operations are the ideal cases to use PCIe SSDs to improve the performance. To understand how much PCIe SSDs can really improve OLTP database performance and the related best practices, we have done a series of performance studies of using PCIe SSD for various Oracle database configurations including PCI SSD as Oracle smart flash cache. This studies are based a single node Oracle 11g R2 database as well as a two node 11gR2 Oracle Real Application clusters (RAC) database with Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.2 platform. This presentation is to examine each of these case studies and the compare the performance improvements of these cases.
Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ‘s January/Feb 2013 issue.
The url to the post on the Dell Techcenter Blogs including the presentation pdf and the recorded audio and video is :
Infrastructure high availability is extremely critical to Cloud Computing. In a Cloud system that hosts a large number of databases and applications with different SLAs, any unplanned outage can be devastating, and even a small planned downtime may be unacceptable. On May 16, 2012, I gave a guest keynote presentation High Availability Infrastructure of Cloud Computing at Oracle Architect Day Event hosted by Oracle Technology Network (OTN). This event kicked off the 2012 Architect Day series for IT solution architects. During the presentation, I covered the best practice of configuring IT infrastructure such as servers, storage, network, Operating system , also discussed the high availability architecture that system architects should consider in cloud infrastructure design. These include Oracle Real Application Cluster, Virtualization and Disaster Recovery solutions. After the presentation, I also attended the panel session and the round table session for QAs and more extensive discussions on high availability and cloud.
My keynote presentation slides can be downloaded here . The recorded video and audio of the presentation soon will be available for download here .
As a tradition, Oracle ACE diretor briefing is held in Oracle HQ in Redwood Shores . This product briefing covers some of the latest development of Oracle Technology that will be announced on coming Oracle OpenWorld. It is very exciting to see this new technology. It is also an Oracle ACE director family reunion. Greate to see all these good friends from all over the world.
Oracle Executive Vice President Tomas Kurian gave an opening address.
Oralce Vice President Database Product Manageemnt Mark Townsend talked about Database products.