The Oracle OpenWorld 2013 will be held from Sunday September 22 to Thursday September 26. This is my 8th year Oracle OpenWorld experience. Since Oracle OpenWorld 2006, I have given total 16 Oracle OpenWorld presentations in the last 7 Oracle OpenWorld conferences. As usually this year my Oracle OpenWorld participation will start with two days Oracle ACE director Oracle product briefing in Oracle Cooperation Headquarter in Redwood shore on Thursday and Friday . After having a Saturday break, I will start my Oracle OpenWorld 2013 journey which includes six presentation/panel sessions and many meetings and networking activities. The most importantly I will have chances to meet many friends in Oracle community from different parts of the world. Here I list the six sessions that I will present or participate. It is my honor to have the opportunity to co-present these sessions with the great speakers from the Oracle community. And I look forward to having great discussions with those who are interested in the related topics:
1. Clustering/High Availability with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c: 360 Degrees [UGF9803]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM – Moscone West – 3016
2. Oracle VM and Virtualization Best Practices: Expert Panel Discussion [UGF9809]
Speakers : Tariq Farooq , George Trujillo, Charles Kim , Kai Yu
Sunday, Sep 22, 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM – Moscone West – 3018
3. Extend Oracle Database Management with Quest Tools from Dell [CON11326]
Speakers: Guy Harrison, Steven Feuerstein, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 1:45 PM – 2:45 PM – Moscone South – 250
4. Best Practices for Deploying Highly Scalable Virtualized Oracle Applications [CON11257]
Speakers:Tariq Farooq , Kai Yu, AJ Schifano
Monday, Sep 23, 4:45 PM – 5:45 PM – Westin San Francisco – Concordia
5. Configuring Database Cloud with Oracle Database 12c on Dell Blades: Methods/Tips [CON11220]
Speakers: David Mar, Kai Yu
Monday, Sep 23, 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM – Moscone South – 250
6. Accelerating OLTP Databases with Flash-Based Storage: Case Studies [CON11235]
Speakers: Naveen Iyengar, Kai Yu, Guy Harrison
Tuesday, Sep 24, 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM – Moscone South – 250
Besides of my presentations, I also plan to attend some technical sessions including some OakTableWorld sessions and technical deep dive sessions. I will have some meetings with Oracle engineers and product managers in Oracle virtualization, Oracle RAC and Oracle Linux .
Today is the last day of year 2012 and maybe be the best time to summarize my Oracle related activities in the year.
In 2012, I have focused on the following technologies:
- Optimizing Oracle database performance using Solid State Drive, specifically the PCIe Flash SSD.
- Oracle RAC on Oracle Linux 6.x and Red Hat Linux 6.x
- Oracle VM 3.11 and Oracle VM Manager 3.1.1
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c
- Oracle Infrastructure Cloud
- Oracle Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder.
As the result of the research and study on these areas, I wrote these five technical whitepapers:
1. Optimizing OLTP Oracle Database Performance using Dell Express Flash PCIe SSDs, Dell TechCenter Blogs, July 31st, 2012
2. Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle OVM , Modified version of the Original conference whitepaper Oracle E-Business Suite: migration to Oracle VM Template Based Deployment.
3. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
4. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, IOUG Collaborate 12 Conference whitepaper, April , 2012.
5. Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 2.2: Methods and Tips, published in IOUG SELECT Journal Q, 2012 issue.
And I also gave 16 technical presentations on several technical conferences including Collaborate 12 (C#12), Oracle OpenWorld 2012(OOW12), Oracle Technology Network Architect Day keynote , EMEA OUG Harmony 2012 , OAUG Connection Point®–Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.1 and Fusuon applications in Austin, , OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST, 2012 East Coast Oracle Users Group Conference (ECO#12) , IOUG Virtualization SIG – Online Symposium
- Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12,
- Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0: Methods/Tips, C#12,
- Alternative options to enhance the High Availability, session #840 (HA bootcamp), C#12,
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, C#12
- High Availability Infrasturcture for Cloud Computing, OTN ArchDay Keynote
- Oracle 11g R2 Clusterware: Architecture, Configuration, Troubleshooting, EMEA#12, Finland,
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Finland, .
- Oracle E-Business Suite: Migration to Oracle VM & template based deployment, EMEA#12, Latvia.
- Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Enterprise Manager 12c , IOUG Webinar
- Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, OOW12
- High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, OOW12
- Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, OOW12
- Oracle VM & Cloud Computing 360 Degrees, OTN Expert+ Conference @NUCES/FAST
- Virtualizing Oracle E-Business Suite through Oracle VM, ECO#12
- Simplifying Application Deployment in Cloud Using Virtual Assemblies and EM 12c, IOUG vSIG
- Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, IOUG vSIG
In last few months of the year, my focus has been on the new Apress Oracle book “ Expert Oracle RAC” which I co-author with three industry well-known RAC experts and Oracle ACE directors: Syed Jaffar Hussain, Riyaj Shamsudeen and Tariq Farooq . I have been working on the contents including RAC architecture overview, Storage and ASM, Clusterware, Network, Application Design Issues , Challenges in a Complex RAC Environment.
At Oracle OpenWorld 2012, I was granted the industry prestigious award: 2012 Oracle Excellence Award : Technologist of the Yeafor Cloud Architect by Oracle Magazine. This award will be officially announced on Oracle Magazine ‘s January/Feb 2013 issue.
Oracle OpenWorld 2012 is just around the corner. This is my 7th consecutive year of speaking at this world largest IT event. This year my presentations are related to high availability, database cloud, Oracle virtualization and deploying Oracle virtual assemblies in a self service cloud environment. The followings are my speaking sessions:
- 1. UGF7700 – Oracle on Oracle VM: Expert Panel, Sunday Sept 30, 12:30pm-2:00pm, Moscone West- 2012.
On this panel I will share some experience of configuring an Oracle VM virtual infrastructure and an infrastructure cloud based on commodity hardware with Oracle VM3.1.1 and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12.1.
2. CON3875 – High-Availability Infrastructure of the Database Cloud: Architecture and Best Practices, Monday Oct 1, 3:15pm-4:15pm, Moscone West- 3020
This session will start with the architecture design and then discuss various techniques and options for achieving high availability including Oracle Clusterware/Oracle Real Application Clusters (Oracle RAC), Oracle Data Guard, and Oracle Maximum Availability Architecture. Then it will explore the configuration best practices for ensuring fault tolerance of the entire stack of the infrastructure. It will also cover the methods for reducing downtime during events such as system upgrades and migration and how to do troubleshooting during system outages.
3. CON5206 – Simplify App Deployment in the Cloud with Virtual Assemblies and Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, Wednesday, Oct3, 5:00pm-6:00pm Moscone south- 307
In this session I will share some experience from my Infrastructure cloud project that I have been working in last few months. I will start with how to create an Oracle virtualization assembly with Oracle Virtual Assembly Builder 11g Release 1 in the following process:
Then I will discuss the configuration of a self-service cloud based on Oracle EM12c and Oracle VM 3.1.1 and how to simplify application deployment with Oracle virtual assemblies in the self-service cloud in the process shown below:
The biggest annual Oracle community event IOUG/OAUG/QUEST Collaborate conference will be held from April 22-26, 2012 at Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas. This year, I was asked to organize two educational events during the conference for IOUG: Oracle EM12c Deep Dive and High Availability Boot Camp. In addition I will give three technical presentations and attend a few panel discussions. Here are the detailed agenda.
1. Lead the Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control Deep Dive, Session #920, 9:am-3:pm, Sunday ,April 22nd, Room 8,
Title: New Features and the Best Practices for Installation, Configuration and Upgrade of Enterprise Manager 12c, Akanksha Sheoran(Oracle), Bala Kuchibhotla(Oracle), Mathew Mckerly (Oracle), Roger Lopez(Dell), Kai Yu (Dell)
Abstract: Recently Oracle released Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c cloud control as a total cloud control solution that provides a complete lifecycle management of the entire IT infrastructure. This deep dive will provide an educational opportunity focused on this new management solution. First you will learn the best practices of how to install and configure Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c along with how to upgrade your current Enterprise Manager grid control to the new 12c cloud control. Then you will learn how to leverage some of the best features of Enterprise Manager 12c to manage your IT infrastructure. Finally, you will explore how to use Oracle Enterprise Manager 12 to manage a provide cloud infrastructure.
2. Manage IOUG Collaborate 12 High Availability Boot Camp at Room 8, Monday, April 23, 9:45am-Tueday 24 5:30pm for12 HA Boot Camp sessions:#334, #548, #840, #225, #649, #184, #371, #633, #544, #711, #492, #373.
3. High Availability Boot Camp presentation: Alternative Options to Enhance the High Availability of your Oracle Database, Session 840, Room 8, Mon, Apr 23, 2012 (12:15 PM – 12:45 PM)
Abstract: You want to run your database in a high availability configuration; Oracle RAC provides the great solution to achieve the high availability against the server failure. However Oracle RAC license can be very expensive especially if your database is running on a physical server with a high number of CPU cores. Are there any other alternative options to achieve high availability for your database? This presentation will examine two practical solutions to this problem: Oracle Real Application Clusters One Node, and running database in a virtual environment such as Oracle VM. Both these solutions allow you to run a single node Oracle database with the capability to migrate or fail over to other server in case a server failure. Come to this session to learn how to implement and manage these solutions:
4. Virtualization Boot Camp presentation: Virtualizing Oracle 11g/R2 RAC Database on Oracle VM 3.0, Room 17, Mon, Apr 23, 2012 (03:45 PM – 04:45 PM)
Abstract: Virtualization technology provides the solution to enable the server partition and consolidation for improving the resource utilization and archiving the great flexibility and high availability. Combining Oracle VM with Oracle RAC provides the Database Cloud ready architecture to consolidate the data center infrastructure. The new Oracle VM 3.0 release not only improved the scalability, but also introduced the new Oracle VM Manager to provide centralized management and simplify and automate network and storage configuration. This session will share the experiences of author’s experience on Oracle VM 3.0 through beta program to the production release and give a step-by-step guild to configure such a virtual infrastructure for Oracle 11g R2 RAC database You will learn the basic Oracle VM architecture as well as the tips and tricks of configuring networks and shared storage through Oracle VM Manager 3.0 on the Oracle VM server layer as well as the Oracle virtual machine level to support 11g R2 RAC database deployment and operation. This presentation also discuss the Oracle RAC VM templates for the rapid deployment of Oracle RAC cluster on Oracle VM and some configuration best practices and methods to monitor and manage the performance of RAC database on Oracle VM with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c.
5. Configuring and Managing a Private Cloud with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c, Session #312 Room 17 , Tue, Apr 24, 2012 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM
Abstract: Recently released Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control provides a complete, out-of-the-box integrated solution for total private cloud management. This session will have a step-by-step walk-through for cloud and self-service administrators who are setting up a private cloud based on Oracle VM 3.0 provide infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS). You will learn the experiences from our private cloud project that helps speed your cloud deployment and minimize risk. The presentation also shows how to provision application services by using Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c self-service capabilities and manage application capacity dynamically.
6. Oracle E-Business Suite Applications Technology Customer Advisory Board meeting: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 11:45 AM – 2:00 PM
7. Oracle on Oracle VM – Expert Panel, Oracle VM Expert Panel, Wednesday, April 25, 9:30 am – 10:30 am, Location, Room 14, Panelists: Tariq Faooq, Honglin Su(Oracle), Mike Adult, Kai Yu
Description: Virtualization is the foundation stone in the Cloud Computing era.
The speakers will present, detail & elaborate Comprehensive Concepts Overview, Insight, Recommendations, Best Practices, Current Strategies, Pros & Cons, Relevance/Role in Cloud Computing, Prevalent/Dominant Paradigms & Technologies and, a whole lot more about Virtualization as, it relates to Oracle DBAs from the perspective of Oracle on Oracle VM.
8. Oracle RAC Expert Panel: schedule not confirmed.
9. Oracle RAC SIG Birds of a feather Panel: Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 12:00pm – 12:30pm